Saint Peter's Parish
Saint Peter's Parish traces its roots to 1847 when the Precious Blood priests from New Riegel began to minister in the fledgling village at various homes or above local businesses. This continued until 1857 when a 30x50 brick church was erected on Guthrie Street. In the same year, the parish opened its first school and by 1862, a cemetery was established at the north edge of town on Eighth Street. By 1866, the parish had built a rectory and received a resident pastor. In 1873, the location of the parish shifted to the corner of Finley and Eighth Streets, which was more central and elevated. Work began on a new brick church measuring 60x140 feet and crowned with a 200 foot spire. The Bishop of Cleveland dedicated the church on October 17, 1880, but on May 30, 1887 misfortune ensued when lightning struck its steeple, which fell to its ruin. Immediately the church was repaired, but the steeple has never been rebuilt. In time, a new rectory, school, and convent followed at the new location. At various times, the resident pastor also served other mission parishes in the area and between 1951 and 1967 the parish was blessed with an assistant pastor. Yet, by 1976, as the number of clergy lessened, the parish was twinned with St. Mary's in Kirby. In 2003, St. Joseph's Parish in Salem Township was also added to the cluster. In 2005, along with the other two parishes in the cluster, St. Peter's was closed and the new Transfiguration of the Lord Parish was established.